All students are expected to comply with the Dress Code
Policy of the Dothan City School Board of Education. For compelling
reasons, such as medical requirements, the principal or
superintendent, may at their discretion, review an individual
situation to determine whether a modification of a provision is
required for the health and safety of a particular student or other
The School Administration will judge the appropriateness of any
"fad" or questionable article of apparel.
Health and Safety
- Students will not wear dark glasses inside the school building,
unless required to do so for medical reasons pursuant to doctor's
- Hair should be clean and out of the student's eyes. Hairstyles
should be neat and appropriate. Unnatural hair coloring that causes
a distraction in the learning environment is prohibited.
- Body piercing jewelry is restricted to ears only for boys and
- No "grills/grillz" on campus or at school sponsored
- No binding pant legs or any other article of clothing.
- No hats, caps, hoods, or head coverings in the
- No bandanas on campus or at school sponsored activities.
Decency and Modesty
- No decals, slogans, or sayings on clothing and/or personal
items that contain references to illegal or immoral behaviors.
Decals, slogans, or sayings that advertise alcohol, alcoholic
beverages, illegal drugs, weapons, gangs, or tobacco products are
not allowed. Anything that promotes racial division or violence is
- No lewd or vulgar sayings on clothing and/or personal items
will be allowed.
- Belts and pants must be worn and fastened at the waist. This
includes athletic clothing. Shirt tails must be tucked in for
grades 2nd - 5th.
- Students will not be allowed to wear clothing and/or have any
personal items on campus that is part of an organizational
- Any other improper or indecent clothing or personal item which
in the discretion of the building principal is indecent, immodest,
distracting, or constitutes a danger will not be allowed.
Tops for Males and Females
Students may wear any shirt color as long as it is a solid
color. If the color of the shirt is perceived by the administrator
and/or teacher to be a distraction to others, the student shall be
asked to replace it with an approved shirt. The shirt must have at
least two buttons and must be: button front oxford, polo,
turtleneck, or blouse-type shirts with sleeves (long sleeves or
- All shirts/blouses must have collars. Examples include, but are
not limited to: team promotion, club promotion, extra-curricular
promotion, promotion of the school in general. Only shirts with the
approved school logo and/or colors will be allowed. No homemade
- Shirts that are not promoting the school attended as described
above may have a small unobtrusive logo that can be covered with a
- All tops must be tucked in as part of the uniform. (K-1st,
preferred but optional)
- Undershirts may be worn but must be a solid color with no logo
or wording. A t-shirt is considered an undershirt.
Males: Khaki, navy blue, or black pants or shorts. Shorts must
be no more than two inches above the knee and no
more than two inches below the knee. Stretch pants are not
Females: Khaki or navy blue pants, shorts, skorts, capris, skirts,
or jumpers are permitted.
- All pants, shorts, skorts, and capris must be secured at the
waist and cannot "sag".
- Shorts, skorts, skirts, and jumpers must be no more than two
(2) inches above the knee in the front and back.
- Blouses or shirts must be worn with jumpers.
KHAKI IS DEFINED AS LIGHT TAN IN COLOR.
Tennis shoes (sneakers) and/or fully enclosed shoes are
- All shoe straps must be strapped.
- All laces must be tied and laces must be both of the same
- The style and color of shoes should be sensible and appropriate
for school attire.
- Socks and hosiery (to include tights) must be of the
appropriate solid color of black, white, brown, or navy blue.
Leggings are acceptable.
- Heels shall be no more than 2 inches in height.
- Belts in the appropriate length, small to medium buckle must be
worn for students in grades 2-5.
- Belts must be worn with pants and shorts that have belt loops
in grades 2-5.
Coats, jackets, sweaters, sweater vests and zippered/open front
sweatshirts are considered as outerwear, and must be worn with a
uniform shirt/blouse. Sweater vests may be any color as long as it
is a solid color. If the color of the sweater vest is perceived by
the administrator and/or teacher to be a distraction to others, the
student will be asked to replace it with an approved sweater vest.
Sweatshirts may be any color as long as it is a solid color. If the
color is perceived by the administrator and/or teacher to be a
distraction to others, the student will be asked to replace it with
an approved sweatshirt. Sweaters, sweater vests and sweatshirts
must not be oversized (bulky or baggy).
- Sweatshirts and/or jackets may have a hood. The hood may not be
worn inside or outside on campus unless permission is given by the
- Outerwear of school - sponsored organizations is acceptable.
(athletic jackets, band jackets, etc.)
- Uniform tops must be worn under all outerwear.
- All outerwear should either button or zip from top to
Items not Allowed to be Worn by Students
Wind pants/sweatpants, velour pants and tops, over-sized clothing,
excessively tight clothing, overalls, bellbottoms, unhemmed
clothing, clothing with cuts, slits, holes or slashes, denim or
jean fabric bottoms, sleeveless tops, overcoats, trench coats,
bicycle shorts, stretch knit/spandex pants, carpenter's pants, lace
or nylon skirts are not to be worn by students.
Exceptions to the Student Uniform Dress Code
Students will be allowed to "dress up" for the following activities
which may include but not be limited to:
- School Picture Day and Spring Picture Day (All
- School Spirit Days
If students do not participate in the "dress up" activity, the
approved school uniform dress will be required.
THE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL MAY DESIGNATE DAYS OR EVENTS DURING
WHICH DEVIATIONS FROM THE APPROVED UNIFORM DRESS CODE WILL BE
PERMITTED PROVIDED THE PRINCIPAL DETERMINES THAT SUCH EXCEPTIONS
WILL FACILITATE THE EVENT, PROMOTE SCHOOL SPIRIT, OR OTHERWISE
SERVE AN EDUCATIONAL INTEREST.
In addition to the uniform dress code requirements previously
listed, the following guidelines will also apply.
- All clothing must be properly fitted. Sagging and excessively
tight clothing are prohibited.
- Slides, clogs, Heelys or any variations of Heelys are not
- Any article that draws undue attention or disrupts classes will
not be allowed such as large jewelry.
- Combs and picks are not to be worn in the hair.
- Males and females are not allowed to wear hats, head coverings,
hoods, sports headbands, or ear muffs inside the buildings.
Bandanas and du-rags of any color are not to be worn on any part of
the body nor carried in or tied on book bags or other
- Students who transfer from other school districts will be given
five (5) days to come into compliance with the school uniform dress
- Any student's dress or personal appearance that the
administration believes is disruptive and interferes with a safe
and secure learning environment will be dealt with on an individual
basis. School administrators will use their discretion to determine
the appropriateness of students' dress.
Consequences for not following the Dress Code
- 1st offense - Warning (note sent home)
- 2nd offense - Warning (note sent home)
- 3rd offense - Warning (note sent home)
- 4th offense - Miss recess
- Repeat offense - Principal discretion